Looking for information regarding South Carolina insurance laws is important especially for a person who wants to get his or her first insurance plan or change the plan that he or she already covers. Before opting for a particular insurance plan, it is crucial to know different details about the minimum requirements because only this way you can check whether the plan, which you intend to get, helps you to get cheap car insurance in SC.
South Carolina Car Insurance Laws
It is a requirement in South Carolina that all registered vehicles carry a minimal amount of insurance. This requirement includes liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist protection to the following monetary limits.
- Bodily Injury Liability per person: $25,000
- Bodily Injury Liability total per accident: $50,000
- Property Damage Liability total per accident: $25,000
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection Bodily Injury: $25,000/$50,000
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection Property Damage: $25,000
You should at least consider coverage beyond this requirement. If you have a vehicle with considerable value, collision and comprehensive insurance is appropriate. In fact, if you have a car loan, your lender will require it to keep the loan in good standing.
If you really want to be on the safe side, choosing an insurance plan, which provides 50% more than the minimum legal provisions, is the best thing to do. Getting such coverage can literally give you the peace of mind that your insurer will cover almost any loss. If you intend to get such car insurance, you must look for the companies that provide full coverage at reasonable rates. Doing so can help you to get great coverage without being forced to cover some huge premium payments.
Another thing that you must know about the South Carolina insurance laws is the fact that they prohibit driving a car without insurance. This thing means that you must get car insurance no matter what. The minimum car insurance in Carolina requires drivers to get policies that provide uninsured driver coverage, property damage and medical coverage.
South Carolina Insurance Requirements
To avoid specific issues that may relate to situations when drivers do not possess auto insurance, the latest legal provisions in South Carolina require all drivers to certify that they own car insurance when they get the first driver's license or renew their old one. This thing means that every driver must get an insurance plan for his or her car even before obtaining the license. If the applicant does not possess a car, he or she must specify it in the application.
Therefore, the latest laws that regulate the car insurance field in Carolina require drivers to offer the proof that they own car insurance. The officials verify whether the information provided by a driver or applicant for driver's license is valid by checking it electronically. In case if the coverage cannot be verified, the officials are allowed to suspend the vehicle registration and even application for driver's license. Beside all this, anyone should know that the laws that relate to South Carolina insurance are quite strict, implying important fines, penalties and even imprisonment.
Reasons to Have a Car Insurance in South Carolina
A common pitfall for many car owners is the failure to secure car insurance in South Carolina with the assumption that they’re not going to be part of an accident any time soon. Exempting yourself from the likelihood of falling into vehicular disaster is never a reasonable expectation. Ask anyone who has ever been in a car accident – they will probably tell you that they never saw it coming! Uninsured Motorists ratio at South Carolina 9.4%.
Of course, saving up and steering clear of unnecessary expenses is always a smart choice, but cutting costs on insurance could potentially get you to shell out more in the future. If you’re still thinking about whether you should buy car insurance in South Carolina, these basic benefits will help usher you towards the right direction.
Benefits of Buying Car Insurance in South Carolina
1. Spend a Little More Now, Save a Lot Tomorrow – Have you ever had a friend or family member who became the victim of a car accident or car theft? Ask them how much it all cost to resolve the situation, they’ll probably tell you it wasn’t cheap. Having a car policy will grant you the ability to pay for the fees associated with these types of incidents. A lot of people think that coverage is nothing more than an extra monthly fee to add to their ever growing recurring payments, but it’s a lot more than that. It serves as protection against costs and expenses that you might not be prepared to face on your in the future. Yes, you will have to allot a certain budget to pay for your monthly premium but all of that will seem like a small price to pay if and when you run in with danger on the road. Think of your South Carolina car insurance as a safety fund for what might come – set aside a little today, and you’ll have a lot to spend tomorrow.
2. Professional Guidance – You know what’s harder than dealing with the post-car accident process? Dealing with the post-car accident process alone. Another great benefit of buying coverage for your car is that you gain access to professional guidance and 24/7 assistance wherever your situation might find you. Insurers don’t want to spend too much on the coverage they grant as well, so you can be sure that they will exercise every effort to bring you towards the best decisions and solutions for your case. This is why it’s vital that you take the time to shop around for a trustworthy and reliable provider that won’t withhold assistance. See to it that you look into all your options before you decide which one to go with – this could save you a world of trouble in the long run.
3. Your Car Isn’t the Only Inclusion – What’s nice about having automobile coverage in South Carolina is that you don’t only get coverage for damages incurred by your vehicle, but you also get health insurance of sorts that will answer for the medical fees and expenses associated with road accidents. If you’ve got medical coverage along with your car policy, then you can expect to pay as little as a few hundred dollars for any injuries you might sustain during a car accident. Make sure you ask your provider if they have any promos or discounts for individuals who want to avail of combination policies that cover both health and car. This will help you save up on premiums without sacrificing the extent of your coverage.
4. You Probably Need Insurance Anyway – All over the U.S. actually require their citizens to have at least the minimum automobile coverage for their cars. Why is that? Insurance acts as a reassurance that you won’t cause any accidents, damages, or injuries that you cannot pay for. In the same way, anyone who causes harm to you can pay for the injuries and repairs they cause. What if you have a run in with someone who doesn’t have a policy or who has insufficient coverage? No problem. You can avail of a policy that will cover you even when the person who put you in the situation in the first place doesn’t have what it takes to fully cover what they caused you.
5. Peace of Mind – Say goodbye to all the worries of driving down the road with an uninsured car. When you buy an auto policy, you basically give yourself the peace of mind to be able to take your four wheeled investment for a spin without fear of potential risks and dangers. Many drivers tend to keep their cars cooped up in garages just to save themselves from the troubles of the road. Give yourself the gift of peace of mind and buy today.
South Carolina Car Insurance Rates
South Carolina car insurance rates average minimum prices are :
|South Carolina Minimum Car Insurance Coverage||$498 - $697|
|South Carolina Minimum Full Coverage Car Insurance||$1,041 - $1,272|
|South Carolina Minimum Car Insurance Coverage for Young Drivers||$1,218 - $1,445|
|South Carolina Minimum Full Coverage Car Insurance for Young Drivers||$1,761 - $1,994|
|Average monthly car insurance in South Carolina||$41 - $166|
As you shop for coverage, you will need a point of comparison when it comes to rates. Car insurance rates in South Carolina are slightly below the national average.
Rates will vary from location to location within the state, so here are the average car insurance rates for a few selected cities and towns in South Carolina.
- Charleston: $658
- Columbia: $673
- Florence: $845
- Greenville: $562
- Hilton Head Island: $471
- Mount Pleasant: $646
- North Charleston: $728
- Rock Hill: $609
- Sumter: $879
Find the Cheapest Quotes for Car Insurance in South Carolina
It’s that time of year. Your Carolina insurance bill is waiting to be paid and you look at it and wonder, “am I getting a good enough deal? Am I paying too much?” And then you think about having to call agents, make appointments, spend hours with them—hours that you do not have—and you write the check and don’t think about it again until next year.
If that sounds like you, well, it sounds like most people. And some of those people? They ARE paying too much. More than they should. You don’t want to be one of them. And you don’t have to be, because today, assessing different insurance options has never been easier. It is a piece of cake. Easy-peasy.
Getting South Carolina quotes is incredibly easy. You can call a provider and supply them with the information that they need to get a quote over the phone, or you can go to their website and fill out the request form to get your quote online. You may even find that some companies offer instant messaging on their site to make it easier for you to get a quote from a person without making a phone call.
There are a few things you need to consider and they aren’t that hard to understand.
First, understand your insurance needs
Of course, there are an always basic legal or lender insurance requirements depending on what you are insuring. But those really are minimum legal requirements. They may be enough for your specific instance or they may not be enough at all. It’s up to you to assess what your individual circumstances involve.
For example, let’s talk about your location and how often it is hit with a natural disaster like a hurricane or tornado, or even a windstorm? If your area is prone to these types of weather events, your needs will be entirely different that the needs of someone in a more moderate weather location.
Do you have children in your home? Are there teen drivers? How about senior drivers? All of these factors will bear on your insurance needs. So think through the scenario and your lifestyle before you get your Carolina insurance quotes.
If you can get more coverage without suffering negative financial effects, it may be wise to do so. Insurance with a high level of coverage will give you a lot of peace of mind as you drive. It may also protect you from the theft of possessions in your car.
So, check out company websites, see what’s on offer from reputable providers and then move forward. Knowing some South Carolina car insurance facts will enable you to make smart choices moving forward. Those who move too quickly may find that they buy too much coverage or that they don’t buy enough! This does not need to happen to you.
Then understand your payment needs
If it would be easier on your budget to forego the annual insurance payment for quarterly or monthly payments, that should be one of your criteria. It’s important to pay your insurance on time so there is no lapse in coverage, so make it as easy on yourself as you can. Most people don’t realize that some insurance can be paid in smaller increments and there are companies that will allow this.
But you may get a break in price if you pay annually. If your financial situation allows you to take advantage of this discount, by all means, do it. Why pay more than is necessary?
Speaking of Carolina insurance quotes
For many customers the premium is a big bite out of their budget and they don’t realize how many kinds of discounts they may be able to qualify for. Most people have no idea that there are good student discounts, safe driving discounts, discounts for taking a mature driver course, discounts for becoming a new customer, discounts for sticking with your same company, discounts for combining several kinds of insurance—there are discounts upon. And so many people don’t get them because they don’t realize they exist.
How do you get a discount? All you have to do is ask if you qualify for any. And keep asking if there are anymore. Your goal is to get your Carolina insurance quotes down as low as possible and it may surprise you how much of a reduction you can get just by asking about what’s available.
The most important thing to remember is that it never hurts to ask. Negotiate rates and negotiate premiums if you can. All they can say is “no” and if they go along with you it will mean saving money. What is not to like about that?
By the way, if you have credit problems, you should do everything you can to clean them up before applying for insurance because your credit score can affect premium price. That’s because insurance companies base their premiums on risk. Actuarial tables show that people with bad credit are bigger risks. You want to show a risk profile that is as positive as possible and cleaner credit contributes to that.
And speaking of risk, insurance quotes are also based on your prior claims history. If you have a habit of filing claims, your premium will be higher than someone who has a clean claims history.
Customer Service: the personal touch
Everyone’s customer service needs are different. Some like high-tech –little personal contact– and some like high-touch with lots of personal contact. Maybe you like to talk live to a person or maybe you prefer to communicate via computer and the internet. What are your needs regarding customer service? Think long and hard about what makes you most comfortable before you choose your insurance.
It’s also good to remember that customer service always seems unimportant until a crisis occurs, and then you may well want to be able to reach someone in person by phone at any time of the day or night.
While back in the day insurance claims were mailed and it was a time consuming process. But today filing is instantaneously done online, if that works for you. Be sure you understand what the claims process is for each company you get a Carolina insurance quote from.
You also might be someone who needs upfront money to pay doctor bills or for repairs. You will want to find out how long you will have to wait for a check to cover any claims you might make.
One of the latest innovations in insurance is the mobile claims unit, which can come to your home or office –super convenient—bringing you a personal touch without your having to take time off. If that’s important to you, pick a company that offers it.
Everyone is different
By now it’s got to be clear that not only are insurance companies different, but consumers are different, too, with different histories and different lifestyles. There are so many factors at work it can get complicated.
The personal risk factors that make up your customer profile will weigh heavily on how much you pay for South Carolina car insurance. There are many variables that come into play and each company will weigh them differently. Some you cannot do anything about such as age and sex, but some you can. You can improve your driving record and credit score to improve your car insurance rates. You can take a driver improvement course to get a substantial discount. You can seek out car insurance companies that provide discounts to those in your career field. You can seek out car insurance companies that provide discounts to one or more of the groups to which you belong. This can be social groups, professional organizations, religious groups and even student groups.
Shopping around is critically important if you are dead set on finding the best deal on your car insurance. Companies charge very differently, so the only way to know who is offering the best deal is to get car insurance quotes. Quotes are now available online from most insurance providers. By getting your quotes online, you can save time, gas, multiple phone calls and waiting for callbacks.
It is; however, vitally important that you be sure you are comparing the same variables across insurance quotes. If a quote seems out of line with the others, look more deeply to see if you can identify why it is so different. It could be something was left out, you never knew. This is one situation where attention to detail really pays off.